Here’s a version of a print I’m working on right now. I’m working on several versions, trying to incorporate collage and drawn elements with the actual etching. On this one, I tried to chine colle a clipping of a hand pulling a cigarette out of the pack, but the clipping must’ve been too glossy, and it ended up sticking to the copper plate instead of the printed image like I had intended. This left a white, unprinted section on the print where the clipping should have adhered. Rather than giving up on the print, I grabbed a technical pen and did a line drawing of what would have been in that space. Although it ended up being another hour or so’s worth of work, I like how this one turned out better than if I had gotten the chine colle to work properly.
If any of the other versions turn out well, I’ll scan those and put ’em up here too.
I’ve been working pretty hard lately, but I don’t have a ton to show for it. I’ve got a couple of larger-scale pieces I’m in the middle of, and I’ve been spending an absurd amount of time doing computer stuff (working on a new website, also scoping out art fairs for the summer). It feels great to spend time drawing, and to actually see a piece to conclusion.
More posts to come much more quickly, I promise!